Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Vegan Love Affair With My Thermomix


My Vegan Love Affair With My Thermomix
October 6th, 2010 Author: Suanne Kiges

I was 5 years old and I found out what meat was. I decided that I would not eat meat anymore because I didn’t want to have anything to do with the killing of animals. My parents were very upset with me and forced me to eat meat. However, by the time I was ten, I was diagnosed as anorexic. My doctor told my mom to try letting me vegetarian because maybe I would start eating. I started eating right away and have been eating ever since.


I love my Thermomix! I use it just about every day. By the age of ten, I knew how to prepare full meals and I was responsible for cooking for myself most of the time. It was a fair arrangement because otherwise my mom would have had to cook two different meals. I ate the salad that she prepared every night and any vegetarian sides, such as a baked potato and I made my main course. That was in the 70′s and it wasn’t as easy to be vegetarian back then as it is now. There wasn’t the variety of frozen dinners, pre-packaged foods, and mock meats that we have today. I ate a lot of beans and rice and pasta.

By the time I got to University there were a few more options and I became a junk food
vegetarian. Besides the frozen dinners, I lived on Mac and cheese and pizza. By the time I graduated, I crave more wholesome food and started cooking more. I liked to cook but found it very time consuming for my busy schedule, so, I still dined out a lot.

About 20 years ago, I decided to go vegan. I started cooking more but still ate out around 3 time a week. There were a lot move veggie options in restaurants by then. Once I met my husband Bill, that changed. He was vegetarian and once we moved in we settled into a routine where I did most of the cooking and he did most of the clean up. I enjoyed cooking more than before because I had someone to share a meal with. However, I still had a hectic schedule and we still ate out at least once a week.
Suanne Kiges. October 6th, 2010

No comments: